Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Watercolour and Aquamarker Alliums

Alliums are my favourite flowers this summer and they are a nice easy shape, so I decided to paint them.

I started by laying a wet wash of pale yellow and green over the whole paper. Once that was dry, I blocked in the flower heads using a Tombow brush pen.  Next, I painted some translucent grass and leaf shapes, and added some yellow paint spatter (masking out the flower heads).
I then used an Aquamarker (Grape - perfect colour) to draw the tiny flower heads of the Allium head, and dabbed all over with a wet paintbrush to spread the ink and soften/blur some of the detail. I painted in the stems using watercolours, using a bluish purple colour to add a shadow side to the stems. I used the same colour to add a little extra texture to the flower head too. A few tiny dots of white Posca pen added the final sense of movement.

No comments: